This coin features Jody Clark’s design of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse (front) side, signifying the coin’s status as legal tender in Australia. The reverse side shows the iconic image of a red kangaroo by famed goldsmith and jeweler Dr. Stuart Devlin. Unlike its gold counterpart and other Australian silver bullion coins, the reverse side of this coin has remained constant over the years as a testament to Dr. Devlin’s exquisite design.
Originally, this series was called the “silver nugget” series before being updated to feature Australia’s beloved marsupial. Though capped at 300,000 annually in 2015, the series now has a high mintage with no cap, making the market highly liquid. With a lower cost to own than gold coins, silver Australian kangaroo coins offer a reduced barrier to entry for investors. The 1-oz silver coin has a face value of 1 Australian dollar (AUD).
The Perth Mint has minted this Australian kangaroo series since 2015. As an anti-counterfeiting measure, each unit features a micro-laser engraved letter “A” on the reverse side visible only through a magnifying glass or similar equipment.
The silver Australian 1-oz coin is of 0.9999 fineness, meaning 99.99% pure silver. The coin is the first to boast such a high degree of purity by the Perth Mint, Australia’s oldest mint.
- Weight of 1 troy ounce of silver
- 99.99% pure silver, the Perth Mint’s first coin to boast such a high silver content.
- Backed by the Australian government and accepted as legal tender.
- Face value of $1 (AUD) Reverse designed by renowned goldsmith and jeweler
- Dr. Stuart Devlin who was awarded both the prestigious Order of Australia and knighted a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George designed the coin
- Minted at Perth, Western Australia, by the Perth Mint
*We pack individual coins in plastic sleeves for protection before shipping. If you order 10+ of the same coin, we’ll secure them in protective tubes before shipping.